350Africa: Banks are walking away from funding South Africa’s coal industry, including Nedbank and FirstRand Group, both of which pulled funding for Thabametsi, a proposed 630-megawatt coal-fired power station in Limpopo province. The impacts of climate change are being felt in South Africa today more than ever, and developing another power plant in a water-stressed region stands to threaten local communities. In order to avoid catastrophic climate change, no new coal infrastructure should be built.
>>>Urge the Development Bank of Southern Africa to publicly commit to not fund the Thabametsi coal-fired power plant and invest in renewable clean energy instead.
Compassion Over Killing: The Trump administration is letting slaughter plants kill at increasingly dangerous rates, going from a staggering 140 birds killed per minute (or more than two birds every single second) to 175. This misguided decision benefits only the meat industry at the expense of animals, workers and consumers.
>>>Tell the USDA to end the horror of high-speed slaughter.
PETA: In a matter of weeks, the largest annual slaughter of marine mammals on Earth begins in Canada. Many of the seals killed won’t have eaten their first solid meal or learned how to swim—yet they’ll be shot or viciously clubbed as their mothers watch in despair. Sometimes, it takes more than one blow to the head for a seal to die. And often, they’re left to die slowly and painfully on the ice. This cruelty continues, even though all major markets have banned seal-fur imports, including the U.S., the EU and Russia. Even though most Canadians also oppose the annual slaughter, their tax dollars are the only thing propping up this inhumane and unnecessary industry.
>>>Urge Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to end his nation’s cruel seal slaughter.
Care2: The process of shark finning is a cruel and wasteful practice. Fishermen cut the fins off while the shark is still alive, then throw the helpless animal in agonizing pain back into the ocean to drown, bleed to death or be eaten alive by another animal. This happens to more than 70 million sharks every single year, including sharks at risk of going extinct. The Canadian House of Commons is currently considering a bill which would ban the import and export of shark fins.
>>>Urge the Canadian government to end Canada’s cruel shark fin trade.
Last Chance for Animals: Rodeos and rodeo-type activities, such as bull riding, are exhibitions of animal cruelty that are sanctioned in the guise of competition. Due to events like bull riding, wrestling, calf roping and steer tailing, calves, steers, bulls, horses and other animals suffer horrific psychological and physical traumas, including broken limbs, cardiac arrest, punctured lungs, torn ligaments, ruptured organs, broken necks, crushed tracheas and more. While Los Angeles has become a national animal rights leader, cruel rodeos are still permitted there.
>>>Urge the Los Angeles City Council to prohibit the staging of rodeos and rodeo-type activities.
This is not good…
- One of the last elephant sanctuaries in Africa has undergone a six-fold increase in poaching (Alastair Leithead, BBC)
- Trump EPA OKs ‘emergency’ to dump bee-killing pesticide on 16 million acres (Center for Biological Diversity)
- Dozens of orcas and beluga whales captured for sale to oceanariums are trapped in tiny enclosures off Russia’s coast (Maria Antonova, AFP)
- Too many reef fish are dying from the bends after catch-and-release (Holly Binns and Leda Cunningham, Pew Charitable Trusts)
- These climate pollutants don’t last long, but they’re wreaking havoc on the Arctic (Sabrina Shankman, InsideClimate News)
Round of applause…
- The rewilding movement is gaining currency among eco-entrepreneurs and ecologists (The Economist)
- Giant tortoise feared extinct reappears after 113 years (Becky Ferreira, Vice Motherboard)
- Refrigerator-size Florida fish makes huge comeback (Michael Patrick O’Neill, Hakai Magazine)
- World’s largest bee found in Indonesia after disappearing for decades (Alex Galbraith, Complex)
- Viva has launched a new “30-Day Vegan” app to help people make the transition to a healthy, ethical diet (Viva)
“It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.” —Ansel Adams